CMCA is a proud partner to CAP!

Rental Assistance

Section 8 Rental Assistance Program

The Section 8 Program (Housing Voucher Program) is funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The housing choice voucher program is the federal government's program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing including single-family homes, apartments and manufactured homes. The participant can choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Mid Missouri Public Housing Agency (MMPHA). A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by MMPHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. You may view the Section 8 Administrative Plan here.

View our Frequently Asked Questions

Our office address is

800 North Providence, Suite 105

Columbia, MO 65203

Phone: 573-443-8706 Extension 1050

Fax: 573-777-5220

*MMPHA wait list is open and accepting pre-applications.

*This system does not provide for emergency housing situations or needs

To print a pre-application for Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers click here.

*It is not possible for this office to be able to tell when your application will be reached for review as the waiting list does not move at a steady pace.

MMPHA provides Section 8 rental Assistance in the following counties:

Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau and Osage

For information on Section 8 in Boone County visit

For information on Section 8 in Audrain County visit


Section 8 Income Guidelines - Effective 1/1/2014
1 Person 2 People 3 People 4 People 5 People 6 People 7 People 8 People
Callaway $22,150 $25,300 $28,450 $31,600 $34,150 $36,700 $39,200 $41,750
Cole $23,450 $26,800 $30,150 $33,500 $36,200 $38,900 $41,550 $44,250
Cooper $19,750 $22,600 $25,400 $28,200 $30,500 $32,750 $35,000 $37,250
Howard $24,000 $27,000 $30,850 $34,250 $37,000 $39,750 $42,500 $45,250
Moniteau $21,800 $24,900 $28,000 $31,000 $33,600 $36,100 $38,600 $41,100
Osage $23,450 $26,800 $30,150 $33,500 $36,200 $38,900 $41,500 $44,250


Fair Market Rent - Effective 10/1/2013
County 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom 4 Bedroom
Callaway $457 $618 $829 $901
Cole $472 $639 $890 $919
Cooper $456 $596 $878 $952
Howard $536 $691 $1011 $1222
Moniteau $483 $654 $836 $954
Osage $472 $639 $890 $919


Payment Standards - Effective 10/1/2013
County 1 Bedroon 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom 4 Bedroom
Callaway $457 $595 $814 $840
Cole $458 $595 $843 $919
Cooper $455 $595 $798 $922
Howard $492 $637 $927 $1121
Moniteau $437 $595 $752 $930
Osage $458 $595 $843 $919

Frequently Asked Questions

What counties are covered by the MMPHA Section 8 program?
Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau and Osage counties are in the service area of MMPHA.

I want to live in Columbia/Boone County. Where do I apply?
Columbia Housing Authority. The office is located at 201 Switzler, Columbia MO.

How long does it take to come up on the waiting list for Section 8 rental assistance?
The amount of time spent on the waitlist is approximately 2 years.

If I find a unit where the landlord takes Section 8 do I move up the list faster?
No. The Section 8 waitlist moves by the time that the completed application is received.

Once I come up on the list, how long do I have to find a place?
Once it is determined that the applicant qualifies for Section 8 assistance, a voucher is issued for 60 days. A unit must be found and inspected within this time period.

Is Section 8 limited in the amount of rend that it can pay?
Yes. HUD sets fair market rent according to the county and bedroom size. Section 8 cannot pay more than the maximum limit and can only pay the limit if the rent is reasonable according to the quality of the unit and the area that the unit is in.

How long do I have to stay in a place once I am participating in the Section 8 program?
All Section 8 leases are for an initial term of one year.

Can I move my Section 8 rental assistance?
Yes. You may move your assistance within the MMPHA service area. It is possible for Section 8 housing choice vouchers to be portable within the United States. Housing choice vouchers become portable if you can provide proof that you lived in the service area when you applied and then only after 1 full year’s participation in the program.

Can I be working and still qualify for Section 8 rental assistance?
Yes. The income guidelines for Section 8 are such that it is possible to be working and still qualify for Section 8.

Can a single individual qualify for Section 8 assistance?

What if my income changes while I’m receiving Section 8 rental assistance?
A recertification is performed once a tenant is has participated in the Section 8 program for a year. If income changes before the end of the year, tenants are required to contact the MMPHA staff so an interim recertification is done so that the tenant is always paying a fair share of their rent according to their current income.

How much will I pay toward my rent?
The tenant’s share of rent is set according to their income and in most cases they will never pay more than 40% of their monthly income toward rent.